Dentures served and continue to serve as the ideal teeth restoration for years now. In the past, ancient people used their wits to create their takes of the appliance to find a solution for tooth loss. Although their methods were not the most practical, let alone hygienic, it is thanks to them that modern people get to enjoy their renewed smiles.
Modern dentures are now more natural looking and durable, but to keep the appliance this way, the cooperation of the patient is a must. Oral appliances may be made from artificial materials, but they still deserve the same care the natural oral structures get. At Ambler Dental Care, aside from offering our patients a smile renewal with dentures, we also would like to share some tips to ensure the longevity of the oral appliance.
Denture Care Guideline
- Do not attempt to rinse the mouth with denture cleaner since it contains chemicals that may cause burns, irritation, and vomiting if accidentally swallowed.
- Never attempt to do self-repair once dentures are damaged for it may make matters worse.
- Keep the oral appliance moist by soaking it in water or denture solution when not in use. The same things should be done at nighttime during sleep to keep it in great shape. It is best to seek the opinion of the dentist to use the ideal soaking solution.
- Handle dentures with extra care since they can easily break when dropped. When cleaning, make sure to take precaution by using a folded towel on the counter or filling the sink with water.
- Instead of using toothpaste that can be too abrasive for the appliance, consider using mild hand soap or a nonabrasive denture cleaner to avoid it from being damaged.
- Make sure to remove the dentures after eating to get rid of foods debris that can, later on, produce acid and even foul odors.
- Never use bleach to clean dentures for it can whiten the pinkish portion of the appliance which is supposed to resemble the gums.
- Continue to practice proper dental hygiene despite having artificial teeth. The health of the gums and other oral structures are still essential too since they are the ones that support and keep the dentures in place. Besides, gum disease and other complications can occur.
- Make sure to observe routine dental visits at Ambler Dental Care for our dental professionals to keep track of the oral health and appliance for overall wellness. The state of dentures will also be determined if it requires any adjustments or replacements.
Aiming to restore your teeth as natural as it was before? Contact us to know more about Dentures in Ambler, PA, or to schedule your appointment with Ambler Dental Care.