Tooth discoloration is not merely a dental concern that makes the teeth appear unsightly; it can also contribute to certain health problems. Since discolored teeth can be caused by poor oral hygiene or failure to visit the dentist every six months for cleanings- harmful plaque and bacteria had already accumulated on the teeth. These harmful substances if left unattended can cause tooth decay, cavities, gum disease, and other oral complications.
Thankfully a procedure has been developed and improved to break down teeth discolorations for beautiful looking and healthier smiles. Teeth whitening is one of the most in-demand cosmetic dental procedure nowadays because of its features that can significantly improve the appearance and health of a patient’s teeth. At Ambler Dental Care, with our Professional Teeth Whitening options, we help our patients attain a picture perfect bright and healthy smiles.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
- Usage of Tobacco products – Chewing and smoking tobacco is harmful to the body and the oral health. The chemicals from these products can stain the teeth which cannot easily be removed by brushing alone.
- Foods and beverages with strong colors – Certain food and drinks can also stain a patient’s teeth. The teeth are porous like sponges which absorbs anything that is being placed in the mouth. Excessive intake of coffee, tea, wine, soda, berries, processed juices, and more can change the color of the teeth over time.
- Poor dental hygiene – Inadequate brushing, flossing, and rinsing allow harmful plaque or stains to accumulate on the teeth’s surface. If proper dental care is not being practiced these substances can cause more than just staining but also other oral health complications.
- Aging – As people age, it increases the risk of developing dental and health complications. The enamel which is the hard outer layer of the teeth begins to wear down which exposes the dentin which has a natural yellowish color.
- Medications – Certain medications also have adverse effects on the teeth such as antihistamines, antibiotics, anti-hypertension, and antipsychotic drugs. However, it is best to consult the medical provider for other options before changing the medications to prevent any complications.
- Genetics – Like the color of the skin, the natural color and thickness of the enamel is something that can be connected to genetics.
How to Prevent Tooth Discoloration
- Quit bad habits such as excessive alcohol intake or smoking.
- Reduce the consumption of foods and beverages with strong colors.
- Avoid eating too many acidic foods which can cause the enamel to wear down.
- Practice proper dental hygiene by brushing, flossing and rinsing regularly.
- Schedule a regular dental checkup and cleaning every six months.
- Undergo Professional teeth whitening procedures which can get rid of stubborn stains that cannot be easily whitened by the conventional approach. Even discolorations caused by age and genetics can be resolved with the help of teeth whitening procedures performed by our dentist at Ambler Dental Care.
Having bright teeth does not only make a person’s smile beautiful but also healthy. Getting rid of stubborn stains and plaque on the teeth can serve as a prevention for dental complications for a better overall oral health condition.
Bring out your best smile with Teeth whitening in AMBLER, PA, book your appointments with Ambler Dental Care! Visit us to experience outstanding results and make your teeth naturally beautiful, white and healthy.